Saturday, February 19, 2011

Doing Good, Feelin' Good

On Valentines Day, packed up all of the handmade cards, gift certificates (donated generously by friends of ASW and The Connect Church), and candies into baskets and trucked them over to Dawn's Place. It's funny how apprehensive I still get sometimes about "doing good" for others, especially ones I don't know well. Will they appreciate the gifts? Will it be strange to receive things from people they don't know from Adam?

They did. It wasn't. It was a heartwarming experience, and I was darn lucky to be a part of it.

The women at the shelter, including a handful from the Philadelphia area and that were rescued from Indonesia, were downright floored by the generosity and caring that went into each little valentine. They raved about the detail and the hard work that clearly went into each one, and were so excited to know that there were people out there that took the time to make them.

Looking around the room, I saw instant smiles, "oohs" and "ahhs", and genuine happiness. Even the Indonesian women were talking excitedly, and though I didn't have a clue what they were saying, I could tell it was along the lines of "these valentines rule!". And to think, all it took was a few spools of ribbon, some construction paper, and a lot of glue!

I took a moment to do an inventory of my own feelings, and was struck by how much this little outreach was affecting ME. I was excited at their reaction, which made me even more jazzed for the plans to come - a photoshoot night with the ladies... art therapy sessions... my mind was spinning with ideas not only for Dawn's Place, but for events and projects all over the city. I wanted to share this bit of joy I got from the experience with other people, and create more opportunities for this kind of community interaction.

 I've found that through doing good, I felt good, and that in turn got my creative juices flowing. There's got to be a medical explanation for that, but for now I'll say - the best way to come up with new ideas, it to take the skills you have and put them to use however possible. The 5-year-old that helped make valentines doesn't exactly have a huge resume of marketable skills, but she had some colored pencils and the desire to help people, and that made a huge difference in the lives of those women.

As we continue to figure out exactly how Art to Save the World is going to evolve, what we can do to make an impact on our community, and the ways we can support local art, I am most looking forward to those kind of connections we are making along the way - real, human relationships, that give people happiness and hope.

Thanks to all the people who helped out creating valentines, especially:
Margo Mangione
LuRey Photography
Sharon Rice
Julie Wilgus
Sarah Wilgus and
Kate Naylor, for picking out the delish candy treats!

2 comments:

  1. What and inspiring blog, thanks for sharing!

    http://badjoan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way late on this, but thanks so much Joan!

    ReplyDelete