Friday, March 11, 2011

The best photoshoot ever.

Hello wonderful people of the world!

I wanted to share a little bit about our photo shoot night with the women at Dawn's Place.  It was truly an amazing night, both for the women at the shelter and for the artists who came and used their skills for it.  

The reason I started Art to Save the World was because I saw tons of artists in the city, all wanting to share their art with the world, and a lot of them have no great outlet to do so.  I've always believed that the best artwork makes the world a better place and shares a new perspective. My goal was to find artists, and connect them to do-gooder opportunities - figure out a way for all of us to use our talents for awesome causes!

Last night was all of those things.  

The women who live at Dawn's Place are all rescued from commercial trafficking - that is, women who have been sexually exploited, and have no where else to go.  The staff at DP helps them to find jobs, connect with their families, and take classes - anything and everything that aids these ladies in putting their lives back together.  

I've been working with the shelter for about a year now, visiting when I can just to spend time with the women there.  When I started I thought "it'll be awesome, I can hang out with them,  hopefully bring a little sunshine into their lives".  Little did I know that they would do that for me, just as much as I did for them.  

The shoot was full of laughter, smiles, and self-images being restored - each of the women walked away with beautiful pics of themselves dolled up and lookin' pretty for the camera, and those of us who helped out all walked away with some perspective and our hearts full of love for these fantastic women.

No comments:

Post a Comment